The following are Halloween safety tips from Captain Joseph H. Stephen Jr. and the Malibu/Lost Hills Sheriffs Station:
* Plan a safe route so parents know where their kids will be at all times. Set a time for their return home. Make sure they know how important it is for them to be home on time.
* Make sure that your child is old enough and responsible enough to go out by themselves.
* Small children should never be allowed to go out alone on Halloween. Make sure an older sibling or adult is with them. If you cant take them, check if another parent or teen aged sibling can go along. Let them know they should stay together as a group if going out to Trick or Treat without an adult.
* Know the route your kids will be taking if you arent going with them.
* Know what other activities a child may be attending, such as parties, school or mall functions.
* Instruct your children not to eat any treats until they bring them home to be examined by you. Treating your kids to a spooky Halloween dinner will make them less likely to eat the candy they collect before you have a chance to check it for them.
* Let your children know not to cut through back alleys and fields. Make sure they know to stay in populated places and dont go off the beaten track. Stay in well lighted areas. Stop only at familiar houses in your own neighborhood unless they are accompanied by an adult.
* Teaching your kids basic everyday safety such as not getting into cars or talking to strangers, watching both ways before crossing streets and crossing when the lights tell you to, will make them safer when they are out Trick or Treating.
* Make sure your child carries a flashlight, glow stick or has reflective tape on their costume to make them more visible to cars.
* Make sure that if your child is carrying a prop, such as a scythe, butcher knife or a pitchfork, that the tips are smooth and flexible enough to not cause injury if fallen on.
If you have any information regarding crimes in the area, please contact Malibu/Lost Hills Sheriff’s Station at 818-878-1808, or anonymously through crime stoppers by dialing 800-222-TIPS (8477), texting the letters TIPLA plus your tip to CRIMES (274637), or using the website http://lacrimestoppers.org.
Partner to prevent or report crime by contacting your local Sheriffs station.
If you wish to remain Anonymous, call LA Crime Stoppers by dialing 800-222-TIPS (8477), texting the letters TIPLA plus your tip to CRIMES (274637), or using the website http://lacrimestoppers.org