Welcome! This page is for all information related to the Triunfo YMCA’s Soap Box Derby event which is open to the public.
Keep apprised of Soap Box Derby events in Westlake Village. Click here to sign up for the Soap Box mailing list:
This event has been a tremendous success over the last several years, and is expected to be even better this year. This year’s event includes:
- Soap Box Derby racing
- Big Sunday
- DJ: Music and Dancing by Time of Your Life
- Antique, Classic and Current Model Car Show
- NASCAR Racing Trailer, late model and midget cars
- Community BBQ by Boy Scout Troop 485
- Magic by Members of the World Famous Magic Castle and the Westside Wizards
- Bounce houses and more
- LA County Sheriff (if not on a call)
- LA County Fire Dept (if not on a call)
Farmers Insurance Building Parking Lot
Opposite City of Westlake Village City Hall and Library
31051 Agoura Road, Westlake Village
Sunday, May 6th, 2012
Overall Event open: 10:00am – 2:00pm
Big Sunday: 10:00am – 2:00pm
Car Show open: 10:00am – 2:00pm (awards at approximately 1:30pm)
Soap Box Races: 11:00am – 1:30pm (awards at approximately 1:30pm)
This year, Big Sunday activities will be integrated into Soap Box Derby. There will be three primary focuses, headed up by Dave Moorman.
- Sorting/Organization of previously and newly collected items
- Arts & Crafts project (e.g., flower pots for senior homes)
- Collection of items including:
- Clothing of any type
- Shoes of any type
- School supplies (including back packs)
- Baby items (e.g., diapers, sealed baby food or formula, wipes, toys)
- Cooking/kitchen items (bowls, pots, plates, silverware, etc…)
- Clothing of any type
On event day, we will need volunteers to help sort and organize items for distribution that are collected both on-site as well as prior to Soap Box Day. Big Sunday activities also need assistance in collecting items on the day prior to Soap Box. If you are able to volunteer for any Big Sunday activity, please contact Dave Moorman (davem [at] imageresources.net).
Big Sunday is the largest citywide community service event in America, empowering thousands of volunteers throughout the greater Los Angeles area to help the disadvantaged, and improve and repair community services. Although the primary focus of Big Sunday is the Big Sunday Weekend (May 5-6 this year), there are opportunities to help all year long. There are often a number of Big Sunday projects occurring each year in the local area, ranging from work projects to collections for the needy.
This year’s event will, once again, be held in conjunction with the Triunfo YMCA Soapbox Derby. The event will be a drop-off point and sorting site for food and clothing collected through local schools and at local grocery stores, and craft projects will enable the whole family to create something that will help brighten the day for others. Other projects will support additional charities. Big Sunday is dedicated to the belief that everyone has some way that they can help somebody else, and participating in this event is a good way to start, and a great way to instill in kids a commitment to service.
NASCAR Race Team
Tim Huddleston’s High Point Racing will bring a NASCAR trailer (a semi-truck) with Limited Late Model NASCAR race cars to show off and answer questions about. Interested in racing? Come and talk to these drivers and their teams.
Members of the World Famous Magic Castle and the Westside Wizards (Society of American Magicians Assembly 291) will be performing close up magic and illusions at the Soap Box Derby. There will be up close and personal magic that is sure to amaze and astound everyone.
Want to participate? Need more info?
Here are relevant web pages and links that you may want to know about:
Soap Box Derby (Contact us ASAP!)
- Driver Rules
- Public driver registration — use this form to let us know you want to race, and get more info.
- Driver Registration (for those outside the YMCA)
- Credit card authorization form
- Driver Release (for those outside the YMCA)
- Sanctioned car kit source
- Car workshops, Tips and Pictures for building cars
- Extending the steering column with a u-joint
- Suggested car team toolbox for race day
- Race Time Results (posted after race)
- Sponsorship opportunities to make Soap Box even better!
Car Show (Register ASAP)
How can your car participate? Click here for car registration.
Got Questions? Drop our Car Show Director an email at Richard@Largeins.com .
A big thank you to all of our sponsors:
Prior Soap Box Derby Events:
Soap Box Derby 2007: https://westlakerevelations.com/?q=node/24
Soap Box Derby 2008: https://westlakerevelations.com/?q=node/89
Soap Box Derby 2009: https://westlakerevelations.com/?q=node/148
Soap Box Derby 2010: https://westlakerevelations.com/?q=node/213
Soap Box Derby 2011: https://westlakerevelations.com/?q=node/286